Il Grigio Chianti Classico Riserva

Il Grigio Chianti Classico Riserva

A classic style of Chianti Riserva - with elegant layers of red and black fruit, and smooth spice on the palate.


Country, Region
Italy, Toscana
Food friend

Additional Details

Tasting Notes

A nose of fresh plush red fruit and blackberries, with spicy, savoury tobacco characteristics. The textured palate opens up to show dense rich fruit, plum cake and a hot dry earth character, layers of leather, spice and chewy savoury notes.

Producer details

A large estate, with 180 hectares of immaculately maintained vineyards in Castelnuovo Berardenga, which lies adjacent to its sister property Villa la Pagliaia. The wines at both are made by Leonardo Bellacini, a master of the 'non interventionist' approach, giving classic expressions of high quality Sangiovese, restrained and complex and with great balance and depth. The secret lies in high quality grapes from exceptional vineyards, driven by an intensive research programme, in particular by selection of the best naturally occuring clones. The resulting wines are understated but satisfying, unencumbered by new oak, Cabernet or flashy winemaking.

In the vineyard

Il Grigio is made from a selection of the best Sangiovese grapes from the Chianti Classico vineyards on the Agricola San Felice Estates in Castelnuovo Berardenga, Siena. The vineyards are at altitudes of 350/400 m. above sea level and the soil is mostly limestone and loam. The vines are trained using the Guyot and Spurred Cordon methods.

In the winery

The must was fermented on the skins for 18-20 days at 28-30 degrees Centigrade. This was followed by malolactic fermentation in stainless steel vats. 80% of the wine was matured in Slavonian oak botte (60/90 Hl) for 18 months, while the remaining 20% was aged in French oak barriques. The wine then spent 6 months in bottle.

Food Recommendations

Excellent with grilled lamb, or roast duck or goose.

In the press

"… shows a dark, mid-weight texture with extra heft that comes in the form of baked plum, candied cherry and spice. This is another good value wine from one of the most beautiful properties (and luxury hotels) in Italy.” 92pts, Monica Larner, The Wine Advocate


2013 Vintage; Sommelier Wine Awards 2017 Gold.
2014 Vintage; Sommelier Wines Awards 2018 Silver.

In Stock Low Stock Out of Stock


Local Delivery (10 miles) - £5.99 For Deliveries Within 10 Miles from DE45 1DX

Within 10 miles of Hattersley Wines, Bakewell, Derbyshire

Local Delivery (20 miles) - £9.99 For Deliveries Within 20 Miles from DE45 1DX

DELIVERY BY COURIER - £9.99 Or FREE On Orders Over £200.00

Orders despatched next working day.
(Please note at the moment couriers are under a strain and deliveries can take an additional 1 to 2 days)


Orders will be ready within 24 hours

You may also like...

Pour Le Vin Merlot

Pour Le Vin Merlot

"A whole cheese" means exaggerating. It's no exaggeration though that this classically-styled Merlot is delicious!...

Country, Region
France, Languedoc
Résonance Willamette Valley Pinot Noir

Résonance Willamette Valley Pinot Noir

A beautifully expressive and harmonious Pinot Noir from the Willamette Valley...

Country, Region
USA, Willamette Valley
Pinot Noir
0 items £0.00
My Basket & Checkout

UK Wine Merchant of the Year IWC 2022